what is this blog about?

On June 18th 2010, Katrina went in to have an MRI done so the doctors could try to figure out why she was getting dizzy. What they found was a medulloblastoma (Brain Cancer) tumor between her fourth ventricle and cerebellum.

This blog is a journal for Her, and Her Husband, Scott, as they face this together.

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Momentum

I've had a few people tell me how strong we are or how they are impressed with how we are handling this. I guess maybe I've been misrepresenting how this is going.  It's not a pretty scene down here in the mud and blood like it might come across on this blog. It's a battle more mentally and spiritually taxing than anything I think we've ever faced together. It's hard, it sucks, I hate it, and I want it all to go away. Katrina and I have butted heads more times in the last few days than we probably have in the last couple of years. She is as stubborn, bull headed, and fiercely independent as ever she was. I cry, I pray, I hope, and I worry. It's a fight everyday to face another round of uncertainty. Don't look at us as some sort of "I don't know if I could handle it like they are" example.  It's not really a matter of choice. What else can we do? It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes, one that I've turned to to help me get through a few struggles in my adult life that are brought on by things over which I have no control:

‘I wish it need not have happened in my time,’ said Frodo. ‘So do I,’ said Gandalf, ‘and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.’ ― ‘The Lord of the Rings’, Book I, Chapter 2.

 If you could sit where I sit and feel what I feel you would know it's nothing so admirable as it may appear. It's just a grim determination to carry forward. 

If you want an example to follow look to the one I have. From the day we found out about Katrina's tumor I have watched and thought about what I know of one man. A man who is so humble that the very fact that I admire him for the way he has stood by his wife that it might embarrass him. His name is Pete MacFarlane. I knew, as I thought about all the possible outcomes of this surgery, that If I could be even a quarter of the man  for Katrina that Pete has been to his dear wife Nancy then things would be okay. He has stood by her through so much, most of which I only have the fainest inkling. Yet he has still fulfilled; No, I would say magnified, every calling I've seen him take on. He always has a smile and a firm handshake. He always wants to know how my family is, and he genuinely cares when he asks. He always wants to serve. I can see the way he truly, deeply  loves his wife in the way he serves her and yet still serves wherever else he can. I have known other, lesser men who have abandoned their wives when their health became less than convenient. I chose to be like Pete. I chose to honor my covenant with my wife regardless of the outcome of this trial we are facing. Look to Pete as an example, not me. 

I'm just Scott, weary, tired and broken. I continue my march because I made a choice to try to be like Pete, and now it takes less effort to keep marching than to stop my forward momentum and lay down to die. There is no strength here, just a choice, followed by forward momentum.           

5 comments:

  1. I think the strength to emulate Pete is strength in itself. I have no insight into what you are going through; I find myself more in Katrina's shoes. But I know that sometimes life is just a struggle to stay afloat for one more minute. Keep up the dog-paddle, Scott. A lot of people are praying for you. Pretty sure Pete is, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that just made me have a good try. I will say it again, & again. I think you are doing well, & I say that because I know you. I know the things you struggle with. I can't say it more, I KNOW YOU. And that is why I am so impressed. I see the way you are handling it & I am impressed with you. It's good to see the reality of this and the struggles, & to remember that this isn't an easy challenge. Keep up the momentum! & if I can help keep up that motivation, let me know. Go team Katrina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! That was supposed to say cry. Typing on my cell phone in the dark is no good. Maybe it provided you a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks heavens for examples like Pete in our lives, but now is your chance to do just as you are doing...being loving and supportive in a situation that is in the Lord's hands. You and Katrina have alway been an example to me of what two people who love each other can do. You have had struggles in the past and conquered them. God willing this to shall be conquered but remember others are watching you and in awe just as you are with Pete. I know it is hard when you are so unsure of the what the future holds. I wish I could hug my weary, tired and broken nephew and his wife. Too many people choose to walk away when something gets to the point you are at. You are choosing to honor her. YOU ARE AWESOME. Know that we all love you both and prayers and encouragement are all we can offer right now. Love, Aunt Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can just add an AMEN and DITTO. What I felt was said above - and more eloquently than I could say it.

    ReplyDelete