what is this blog about?

On June 18th 2010, Katrina went in to have an MRI done so the doctors could try to figure out why she was getting dizzy. What they found was a medulloblastoma (Brain Cancer) tumor between her fourth ventricle and cerebellum.

This blog is a journal for Her, and Her Husband, Scott, as they face this together.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Symptoms

The nurses, radiology technicians, and doctors all want to know how the tumor was found, so here is my story.

I believe it all started about 2 years ago when I was pregnant with my baby boy. July 2008, I was eight months pregnant. I arched my back and leaned over my husband to become dizzy to the point the room was spinning. I sat up quickly contributing it all to be pregnant. I then had Chantry August 2008. Six weeks later, I was supposed to return to Church, but got the dizzy flu. I was so sick and couldn't get off the floor. My husband took care of me and I slept. I was okay by the next day. I was okay for the rest of that year, I think.

In 2009, the dizzy and vomiting episodes increased to about once a month and then became more often. (Mostly caused when I would lean back.) I gradually lost weight even though I tried to eat more. I became sick in the mornings and couldn't eat until about 9 or 10 (up and going 3-4 hours).

In 2010, I was constantly dizzy and sick. Mondays would be the worst. As the week went on, I felt better, but got tired. I had a hard time getting up in the morning and keeping food down.

Throughout all this time I had been going to the doctor. I was diagnosed by my primary care physician with sinus infections, labyrinth infections, and BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). I received medication (antibiotics) and the treatments (Epley Maneuver) associated. It would work for a time, and then everything would return. So I was then referred to an ENT (Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor). He said I had received the correct treatments, and since they didn't work he would pursue it. The sinus CT scan wasn't enough, so he also ordered a brain MRI. Most of my symptoms fit with migraines (minus the headache). So I was also put on medication for that. The MRI showed a tumor. He referred me to a neurosurgeon who is now on vacation, so he referred me on to Salt Lake. I have since been receiving treatment from Richard Schmidt. And that is how I got to where I am today!

No comments:

Post a Comment